söndag 12 december 2010

Terrorist Attacks in Stockholm

Last night as I was heading to bed I got an email from my friend Selma asking if I was okay - and she said there had been bombs in Sweden and it had been reported on the National news back home?!  So I got on the news sites and was horrified to read that in fact it appears that a suicide bomber tried to harm people in the heart of Stockholm (which is far away from where I currently am, but I will be there over Christmas).  One news report is here: http://www.thelocal.se/30776/20101211/

I was so saddened to read of this - it shouldn't happen anywhere, but in particular it seems shocking to me to happen here in Sweden.  I have nothing but WONDERFUL things to say about the Swedish people.  They are on the whole based on my interactions with Swedes here in Umea - kind, generous, thoughtful, intelligent  people.   And they certainly don't deserve to be attacked - again I don't think anyone does - but of all people and places for an attack - Sweden seems like it should be at the bottom of the list for so many reasons.

I hope that rather than attention being focused on individuals who decide to blow themselves up, that instead we can focus on the gifts of humanity and the wonderful people in the world and the good that so many people do in their lives.  During this holiday season, I for one will focus my attention on appreciating the gifts in my life, rather than focusing on the evils that are present.  There is much more positive in the world than negative - and it is unfortunate that some people only focus on the negative and somehow think it is okay to kill or hurt others.  Violence is not the answer, at least based on my experience....

I am grateful for my experiences and the people that I have gotten to know here in Sweden and I think that this is a place with so much to offer and such wonderful people - so I for one stand in support of Sweden and the Swedes!

UPDATE - To those who have inquired worried about my safety - I feel very safe here in Sweden and it seems that the Swedes I have spoke with about this seem to have the right attitude of not letting this affect them so much either - they instead focus on happy stuff - like December 13 - which is Santa Lucia Day - where Lucia brings the light to the dark - and we eat saffron-flavored bread (Kelley's was delicious) and listen to children's choirs sing :)   It is a refreshing attitude to see.  They do not make light of it and take it seriously, but by not putting too much energy into it, they are not letting the terrorists win!  It seems that Sweden is definitely getting a lot of media attention - between this and WikiLeaks!  I would prefer to hear about other aspects of Sweden instead!

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar