söndag 24 oktober 2010

Where in the world is Umea?

I know that it is darker here than in Edmonton, but at the same time the forest and climate aren't that different (well okay maybe this fall given that when I left it was still in around 15C in Edmonton!) so I thought it might be helpful to give a bit of context to where Umea (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ume%C3%A5) is!
Umea is the A on this map - it's a ways up there eh!
The sun is currently rising around 8 am and setting before 5 pm - so we're still doing okay with 9 hours of daylight.  However we're losing ~8 minutes a day so by winter solstice it will be down to less than 4.5 hours of daylight with the sun rising around 9:30 and setting by 1:45 - something to look forward to ;)  This is in contrast to the minimum of ~7.5 hrs of daylight I'm used to in Edmonton around the solstice (http://www.gaisma.com/en/location/edmonton.html)
Our latitude here is 63°49'48"N  - so we are still a few hundred km away from the Arctic Circle (66° 33′ 44″), but Anchorage is south of us (61°13'05.016"N), along with a big chunk of Canada - including Fort Smith where my friend Jeff lives (and I thought THAT was way north)!  Thank goodness for the Gulf Stream, which means that despite being truly up in the Great White North, temperatures *I think* are comparable to Edmonton - not that that is warm by any means in the winter - but at least it's something I've experienced and can tolerate :)  Although leaving the PNWet I always commented on how I preferred the cold with bright winter skies to the wet of coastal winter - guess that argument is not so easy here where it's dark AND cold!
Well better get outside while the sun still IS shining and make the most of it :)  Hejdo!

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar