lördag 13 november 2010

Fika Time!

After an especially lovely "Fika" on Friday I thought I would explain the Swedish concept of Fika.  The Swedes love their sweets and also enjoy breaks - Fika is their word for coffee time - although it can also be used as a verb - as in "Let's Fika".  So in the morning for a half hour and again in the afternoon for half an hour (sometimes more) everyone congregates in the "Fika" room - the catch is you have to be on time b/c everyone comes and goes right on schedule (although I've had a hard time figuring out the schedule myself - just too busy working hard in the lab and running the beloved dishwasher to take time out for Fika!).  The powers that be are very encouraging of this as it is meant to foster healthy sciencey discussions among colleagues - although don't worry, we are often not talking shop :)   The Dept has fancy coffee (and more importantly hot chocolate for me!) machines that provide you with a wide assortment of options for Fika :)  During one Fika, Michael had a troubling story about the powdered milk in the machine at a University in Stockholm getting poisoned with a nerve agent by a disgruntled Masters student who was not accepted to be a PhD student?!  This story has not dissuaded me from drinking the Cacao Crema that my body needs around 3:00 every day - I think people in the North of Sweden are too nice to conceive of such a thing!

On Friday one of my labmates, Abdul, announced that we would have torta at Fika - how could I say no :)  Turns out in addition to his lab skills Abdul is a talented baker - I was sad to not have a camera to capture the beautiful chocolate covered cream and fruit-filled decadence that he created!  I even got in trouble for taking too small a piece the first go round, so when he told me to have another piece I didn't say no :)  

I should emphasize that Fika is certainly not restricted to working hours, and is a very common social activity pretty much every day in Sweden - a good reason to get together with friends and enjoy something sweet too (The Swedes LOVE sweets - they are my kind of people!) :)  Today, in the spirit of Fika, I had my own while I was out shopping mid-day and tried another type of torta that is very Swedish- Prinsesstårta - marzipan, cream, cake et al. - Deliciously delightful too - and with my six days in a row at the gym I think I've earned a piece - or three or four ;) of cake!) :)  Let there always be cake and godis (goodies/candy) and an excuse to eat them!

Who needs proper lunch when you can have fika cake :)
UPDATE: As I posted this blog I got an invite for Fika tonight - so it is not just a daytime activity - will tell you more about night time Fika after I partake :)

I am back from Night-time Fika hosted by Aida (my office mate), Nacho, and Patum (their lovely pup).  The Fika was a merging of Catalan and Sweden - as it was held to belatedly celebrate ‘La Castanyada’ - a fall party in Catalan to celebrate Autumn (in Sweden it felt like more of a winter party ;)  Alas I don't have a picture of Aida dressed up as the chestnut lady coming down from the mountains (Castanyera)- but she looked quite the character - when she opened the door I was thinking - what kind of party is this - was I supposed to dress up :) The cookies were delicious, getting a good chestnut was meant to be orgasmic, the company was great, and I got to lounge on a sofa - which is a luxury here given my apt lacks one! :)  Muchas gracias Aida & Nacho!
Enjoying all of the Catalonia panallets, sweet potato, and roasted chestnuts :)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar