söndag 21 november 2010

Lights to combat the dark? - Höstljus Fest

It seems like there is always something going on in Umea - and I have been doing my best to fight the urge to hibernate in the cold and dark and instead to venture out into the great white dark cold :)  This Friday night it felt much colder than the -10C that my thermometer was reading as I biked downtown to meet up with some friends from school.  I felt very Swedish when I managed to view a text on my phone while biking and not paying so much attention to the ground - however, after getting off my bike downtown and walking I realized perhaps it was not such a wise choice - the paths and roads are super slippery!!!  I need a helmet!!

The main shopping street downtown alit with beautiful white lights
This weekend it was the beginning of Höstljus Fest - which is an AUTUMN light festival. I think it is intended to combat the DARK (the sun rose at 8:23 this morning and sets at 2:26 - so we are just about to go below the 6 hour mark!  And still another month to go to the darkest?!).  I find it amusing that this is meant to be an autumn light festival given that there is so much snow on the ground and I don't see evidence of it melting before spring!  It feels much more like a winter light festival than an autumn one to me!  But *normally* this time of year the snow is replaced with yucky wet rain and it feels much bleaker and darker.  Many people say that November is the absolute worst time of year here (yes I know- this is the time I chose to come ;).  But this year appears to be an exception- which I am delighted about!  The snow makes it seem that much brighter with all of the sun (when it is out) reflecting off of it :)  Etsuko made reference to someone saying this will be the coldest winter in 1000 years - I'm wondering what they're basing that on but hoping it doesn't get TOO cold?!  
Can you feel the love tonight - all I'm feeling is COLD ;)

Apparently this year's light festival theme is Love in Umea - oh la la ;)  Love is in the air - or at least in the lights ;)  There are a wide range of light installations put in place and I have only seen a few thus far (in the end it was too cold to stay outside, so instead we went to the pub and enjoyed some warmth, good company, and tasty (but $$$) food :)   Below you can see the lights in front of the landmark church downtown - these are made by the kids at daycare, including Michael and Kelley's son, Stellen :)  Very beautiful and magical :)
Despite all of the charm of November in Umea this year, I am looking forward to December and the countdown is also on to my week away in the land of Espana - warmer, longer hours of daylight and good company and culture and TAPAs with Vickie should be a blast (Granada, Spain on Friday) :)


All the candles alit from the daycare kids - the kids trying to find theirs in the mix
 
Do you see the frost on me - brrrrr indeed! 
 
Some of the lit candles - up close view :)



Elisabet & Katie on the walk home from the pub by the candles
  

1 kommentar: