fredag 26 november 2010

Hej da Snowy Umea - Hola Sunny Espana!

Everyone told me when I was coming to Umea that I must leave and get away from the November blues here - b/c it is typically very dark and wet and depressing - very much unlike the snowy bright (well limited hours but at least bright) experience I've had.  So I booked an adventure in Spain with Vickie a new country I've not yet been too that she really wanted to spend more time in :)  And if you're worried about me missing out on work (I'm not - ha ha) - it's actually perfect timing as I have a lull in my lab work waiting for soils to incubate and equipment to free up - so when I come back it will be the perfect time to dive right back in - couldn't have planned it better actually :) 
So now it is Friday morning here and it is snowing and blowing outside and -12 C!  So much new snow that it is piling up along my windows even - a winter wonderland - beautiful for sure - but alas I am still happy to leave for a week!  I will soon be lugging my carry on to the bus stop - and yes indeed I have managed to fit everything for a week long trip in a small suitcase - I am getting better (when I go skiing with Tyler for a weekend I bring a huge duffle bag and then some!).  But I don't plan on needing so much - as I'll be soaking in some sunshine (and possibly some rain) - but the most important thing is that daylight hours are much longer and the temperatures are above zero in the Granada region of Spain!  Yahoo!
My alarm clock this morning was Vickie - who I am going to Spain with calling at 7:30 from Cork, Ireland to say "I've missed my plane" - huh - what - am I dreaming?!  So she will meet me there tomorrow morning instead.  I do think it may have been a wee bit intentional on her part - given that she is rather smitten with a new beau in Dublin - and guess where she is off to today - Dublin - slightly suspect eh Vickie!  Can't blame you though!
I will take the airport bus - now that I think I have figured out where it departs from as it's location has recently changed.  It's supposed to coincide with the scheduling of planes but it will get me there more like two hours ahead of my plane (which I am hoping doesn't mind the snow and takes off on time!), but I'm trying to save my money for shopping and tapas in spain rather than on taxis to/from the airport. 
This brings me briefly to the topic of cell phones here - it turns out your phone here is very utilitarian - not just for making calls and sending texts!  I had a few hassles when I arrived working on getting Don's old Razr phone to work - it appeared to be 'unlocked' back in Canada but upon arrival here it only wanted to be a Rogers phone.  After 10.00 to some unlock website for a special code I got it unlocked and bought a sim card here for 15.00, some prepaid airtime and I was in business :)  I had a giggle that they gave me 2000 free texts to send the first month I had it - that's a lot of texts - I think I maybe got 100 in ;)  Anyhow, I digress (again!).  But it turns out that you can pay for many things in town with your cell phone - just comes off your credit on your phone.  So when I take the bus I can send a text and show the bus driver the reply and it shows I've paid my fare.  The same goes at the local movie theater (although I've not yet gone b/c the movies now playing are behind the North American schedule).  It seems like a pretty slick system - and helps with me avoiding using a credit card here - as there are various exchange & transaction fees on that!
The adventure to get to Malaga airport - and my final desination at the Hotel California in Malaga (I can check in - but can I ever leave ;) - 30 m from the beach tonight - is not a short one (unlike Vickie - sheesh she only had ONE flight she had to make - granted it was rather early in the am!!) - first I fly into Stockholm, then I fly into Barcelona, hang out at the airport for a few hours, and finally catch the flight from Barcelona to Malaga (on the way back I also go through Helsinki - I should be buying some serious carbon offset credits!!).  So by midnight tonight I will be finally there!  Bringing my laptop so will get lots of work done along the way - too bad they don't believe in free wireless at the airports here in Europe - but maybe I'll be more productive that way ;)
Next update I hope to report that both Vickie and I arrived safe and sound in Malaga and are on our adventures in Espana - where I can maybe practicar espanol ;)  Adios amigos!

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar